Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Those girly moments

So, I sit here as a mom to a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. They are both so full of life and love. They drive me crazy and make me proud all at the same time. I am sitting here having such a hard time with the idea that "cliques" are already starting up. Seriously... already? How can this be?

It brings me back to my own childhood. For as long as I can remember I clung to my friendships. They were so important to me. We could disect why that was and is but that is another therapy session for another day. But, I also remember how mean girls could be. I tried so hard to "fit in" and be part of the "group" and most days I was... but, there were those days that I came home from school completely defeated and sad. I just do not want my girls feeling this way. I know that they have already and that makes me even more sad. I also know there are going to be many more days with moments like these.

I just hope that I have the right words to say to let my girls know that they are truly awesome and wonderful girls. I never want them to feel that they are not good enough or need to be anything different than what they are. I never want them to feel they cannot talk to me or share their hurts with me. I just want them to be able to look back on their childhoods and say "yep... it was a fun and GOOD time filled with lots of wondeful friends and parents who I know loved me no matter what".

No comments: